On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 17:04:45 +0100, David Vincent-Jones wrote:
> When I apply the 'denoise (profiled)' onto a fairly raw image the
> results, on my data, look quite acceptable. I have been trying to see
> which modules that I am using are creating more noise than others.
>
> In another test I have used the para. mask to eliminate some processing
> from sky areas ... it is a bit tedious but it appears to help. I still
> feel that the blue is the trouble-maker.

Tedious is something I cannot abide when I'm processing a few hundred
game photos (much less 3 weeks ago, when I had 600 frames).  I need
the most efficient workflow I can get.  It's already wasteful to me
that I can't simply hit space to move to the next photo and be able to
crop right away; I need to click on the crop settings to be able to
crop.

For my use case, I don't need absolute elimination of noise, but I
like to cut down the noise some for the very high ISO settings I use.
If I were able to shoot at ISO 1600 I wouldn't even both bother with
NR at all.  But I don't want artifacts or complete removal of detail.
If I didn't have an alternative I'd accept the noise.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <r...@alum.mit.edu>

--Eric Crampton