On 03/10/2018 05:34 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 17:04:45 +0100, David Vincent-Jones wrote:
>> When I apply the 'denoise (profiled)' onto a fairly raw image the
>> results, on my data, look quite acceptable. I have been trying to see
>> which modules that I am using are creating more noise than others.
>>
>> In another test I have used the para. mask to eliminate some processing
>> from sky areas ... it is a bit tedious but it appears to help. I still
>> feel that the blue is the trouble-maker.
>
> Tedious is something I cannot abide when I'm processing a few hundred
> game photos (much less 3 weeks ago, when I had 600 frames).  I need
> the most efficient workflow I can get.  It's already wasteful to me
> that I can't simply hit space to move to the next photo and be able to
> crop right away; I need to click on the crop settings to be able to
> crop.
>
> For my use case, I don't need absolute elimination of noise, but I
> like to cut down the noise some for the very high ISO settings I use.
> If I were able to shoot at ISO 1600 I wouldn't even both bother with
> NR at all.  But I don't want artifacts or complete removal of detail.
> If I didn't have an alternative I'd accept the noise.
Yes, high ISO does give extra problems. My Fuji has a 'sweet-spot' for
noise at 800 and I have almost locked my camera on that setting .... and
I am certainly not shooting as many frames as are you.

If it were me, facing your situation, I would seriously shoot JPG and
let the camera manufacturer do all the hard work of processing. That is
the Fuji advantage that the style options for JPG output are really very
fine and also very varied.