I do not know what happened... I wasn't notified that I had a response. In
answer to your question my updates are performed by apt.. I was also asked
to open dt from a terminal to see if I got any errors:

$ darktable

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: darktable.css:21:14:
Using Pango syntax for the font: style property is deprecated; please use
CSS syntax

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: darktable.css:36:26:
The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error:
darktable.css:206:28: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use
:disabled instead.

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error:
darktable.css:371:50: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use
:disabled instead.

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error:
darktable.css:372:37: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use
:disabled instead.

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error:
darktable.css:442:30: The style property GtkWidget:wide-separators is
deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future
version

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error:
darktable.css:443:30: The style property GtkWidget:separator-width is
deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future
version

(darktable:6359): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error:
darktable.css:444:31: The style property GtkWidget:separator-height is
deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future
version

dt_gui_gtk_init: error parsing /usr/share/darktable/darktable.css:
darktable.css:21:8not a number

Robert William Hutton
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=darktable-user@lists.darktable.org&q=from:%22Robert+William+Hutton%22>
 Sun, 05 Nov 2017 14:26:32 -0800
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=darktable-user@lists.darktable.org&q=date:20171105>
Those symptoms occur when GTK3 has been updated without darktable being
updated to match. The red areas indicate that there's a problem with the
layout, so CSS might be involved, but I more often see this when I update
the OS from one release to the next (say, Ubuntu 17.04 to Ubuntu 17.10)without
rebuilding darktable.

You say "My system updated over 400 packages this morning." Could it be
that GTK was one of those packages?

What distro are you running?  How did you install darktable?

If you installed from the PPA, it's likely that it was disabled during the
upgrade, and that you're running the darktable version from the previous
release. Or if you build from source, you should do a complete rebuild.

-R