----

If I had to guess I would say that you are using darktable from a third party

repository that is not meant to be used with your OS version. As Robert
suggested, it might be that you are using Ubuntu, have used Pascal's PPA to
install dt and then had an OS update. That tends to disable the PPA so you
are stuck with the old (and incompatible) version of dt you had previously
installed. If that's the case just re-enable the PPA and update your
system. ----

Yes, I used the ppa and yes it stopped working properly after an
update. How does one reenable the ppa?

--