heya,

did you at some point adjust the number of worker threads by any
chance? there is a surprising amount of different stuff going on that
all allocates memory.. 8GB isn't all that much in the end.

among others, the nvidia opencl backend tries to malloc something, too. so i'd

* look through settings for super large number of worker threads somewhere
* try with `darktable --disable-opencl` to see whether the driver
needs all the memory

cheers,
 jo