Yes, it's all on the SSD, a brand new Samsung :)
It's not that I can't live with this, and it's only happening sometimes, not always. I just noticed it happening.

Op 06-08-18 om 14:41 schreef Patrick Shanahan:
* kneops <kne...@gmail.com> [08-06-18 08:25]:
I have 16Gb, but it is not so much the speed itself. I just imported 400 RAF
files and this went fast. It's the already imported folders that are
sometimes slow when displaying (rebuilding?) the thumbs. My OS and Darktable
files are on a fast SSD. I will keep an eye on it to see if I notice
something else that could explain what is happening on my pc.

Op 06-08-18 om 13:00 schreef Patrick Shanahan:
* kneops <kne...@gmail.com> [08-06-18 04:19]:
I already have that enabled. Could there be a maximum amount of thumbs that
can be stored?

Op 31-07-18 om 20:14 schreef I. Ivanov:
On 2018-07-31 12:58 AM, kneops wrote:
Some folders open right away with all the thumbs visible
immediately, but many already processed folders seem to be
rebuilding all the thumbs over and over again, even if I opened and
worked on a folder a day ago. Has this to do with some setting? Are
previews only saved for a certain time period?
You can try "enable disk backend for thumbnail cache" on the core
options.

Regards,
the amount of onboard memory may be a large factor as only so many thumbs
will fit in memory at one time, cache.  have you considered this?
recently viewed photos load faster than those not.  I see similar with
32gb, but greatly improved from several years ago.

is your cache on the ssd?
   ~/.cache/darktable

how much memory have you assigned dt in:
    preferences -> core options