This is not exclusively a Mac issue -- I experience the same kind of lag
on a Linux machine with a 4K monitor. The problem, as was explained when
I asked about it, is that the light table is implemented as a single GTK
widget, and is set to be completely redrawn every time the mouse is
moved on top of it. There is a Redmine bug filed for the issue:
https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10764.

--
August Schwerdfeger
aug...@schwerdfeger.name