If you need some package (such as libjpeg) to compile a source (such as
darktable), then you need to install the respective "developer" version of
libjpeg. I.e. the headers of the library which darktable requires. A quick
search on [1] (not sure if your system uses Debian though) reveals that for
libjpeg the correct package would be libjpeg-devel. So "apt install
libjpeg-devel" shoud do the trick. I'm no longer fluent in apt, but
something like "apt search libjpeg" or "apt find jpeg" should also give you
an idea. "man apt" will help there...

[1]
https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=libjpeg

--