On lundi 13 janvier 2020 15:28:04 CET Timur Irikovich Davletshin wrote:
> Hi Viktors,
>
> There are two problems in your case:
>
> 1. Nikon-like alternative basecurve turned just Nikon-like.
> 2. New color preservation settings which messed highlights and colors.
>
> First issue: I had similar problem in the past. I believe there was
> problem with Exif interpretation. E.g. image information used to show
> Nikon d7100 but now it shows NIKON D7100. Can you try to reimport some
> file and check it in image information?
>
> Second issue: I addressed it in the past
> https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/3693 and
> https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/3677 — so nothing to
> do.
>
> Timur.
>
> On Sun, 2020-01-12 at 13:04 +0200, Viktors Krasovskis wrote:
> > Hi. The DT 3.0 is nice. However I noticed a serious problem when
> > working with my Nikon D7200 RAW files. The DT 2.6.2 version I was
> > using did automatically apply the D7200 base curve preset and the
> > initial rendering of the RAW file looked quite similar to camera's
> > JPEG file (tones, saturation, white balance and the exposure). It was
> > a good starting point for my editing. Now the DT 3.0 applies a wrong
> > base curve preset (nikon like) and when I choose the D7200 base curve
> > preset then the images looks desaturated, underexposed and less
> > detailed. I tried to fix this with the exposure, white balance,
> > saturation and contrast sliders and I still can't get a similar look
> > like in camera's JPEG, the skin tones look weird, the shadows are too
> > dark, bet when I raise them I loose contrast. In other words the
> > colors are not so natural like the were rendered in DT 2.6.2. I've
> > also tried the filmic RGB module (with the base curve and without),
> > still can't adjust the image better as it was done by default in DT
> > 2.6.2. What I'm doing wrong? Is it a bug? I can provide my Nikon RAW
> > and JPEG files to compare.

One thing to keep in mind: the basecurves give *one* interpretation of the raw
data, not *the* interpretation.

And while it provides an easy starting point, there are disadvantages: I
noticed that in my case, the automatically selected curve (Sony-like) threw
away about 1 stop in the highlights. And there are more basecurves that behave
that way.

So following the camera maker's taste has its issues...

Remco