Hi Remco. I understand the Darktable developers point to push the ultimate
raw interpretation and introduce raw processing workflow that squeezes out
most data into richer result. It's cool and makes sense in theory or if you
don't shoot a lot and have time to develop the raw files. I don't know how
Sony renders it's JPEGs, though Nikon, Fuji and Canon do the job quite well
in terms to provide universal preview for many scene types. When
photographer takes pictures he checks the result in EVF or on camera's
display and makes the exposure, light, subject and scene adjustments by the
JPEG preview. After some practice the photographer learns to know his
camera and it's possible to predict by JPEG preview how far we can go with
under/overexposing the image. If I do some shooting on location where I
often change the lighting proportions in my photos then it's a pain to
adjust filmic RGB module sliders for each pictures because they all are so
different. Well and the filmic presets do not help much. Ok, I try to
process each image with filmic not looking to camera JPEGs to be unbiased
in my editing. And later, when i compare the results with camera JPEGs I
see that JPEGs look more natural and more richer in shadows and middle
tones, the skin tones are just right in most pictures by default and I
could fix the others just by adjusting the white balance. Maybe sometimes
the camera JPEGs are less saturated, underexposed or have shifted white
balance. But that's easy to fix in DT 2.6.x since the RAW rendering
starting point is close to the camera JPEG and represents the preview which
I created on the field with my adjustments. Now the DT 3.0 brakes this
solid workflow, I can't rely on my camera's preview while shooting because
now I know that the starting point on darktable will look different. That's
why I downgraded back to 2.6.x. DT 2.6.x is a great tool and I'm afraid
that the development of this version will phase out and it won't get new
camera support, new modules and bugfixes.
Darktable 3.0 would be a fantastic tool if it would allow the users to
choose between the classic and advanced workflows. That would speed up
editing where camera manufacturer raw interpretation worked well and for
more complicated cases filmic RGB module would be a nice help for
experienced users. Most users in most cases need that their raw files are
rendered well enough and the rendering should be predictive. Only geeks and
some others (the minority) needs the ultimate raw rendering which takes
more time and in practice is less universal. Filmic RGB is great for
landscapes and architecture where the camera's dynamic range is on it's
limits, however Nikon base curve presents give far better results on human
portraits on DT 2.6.x by default. What do others think and do they have
similar experience?

Ar cieņu, Viktors Krasovskis