> If I can do so safely, at a minimum I want a unique ID in the master image
> that can be propagated with the image to all derived ones.
> At best I want all critical metadata -- the stuff that takes hours to put in
> -- keywords, caption, description to reside in the image, and in the
> database, and in the sidecar files, and in every derived image.

An option to do that without touching the RAW file could be:
- calculate a cryptographic hash on the original RAW file when you download it
- save the hash in a sidecar file, on an XMP tag which you know is
carried over by all the programs you use

This also has the nice property of warning you if your RAW file is
corrupted in the future.

Best regards,
Guillermo