There are a bunch of "grouping" terms.

Folder is common usage on Windows and Mac.  Most desktops on Linix/BSD at
least use a folder for the icon.  Discussion on technical boards are more
likely to use  directory.
Generally from a user prospective you can use the two words interchangeably.

In photography programs you have a bunch of other vocab surfacing, all of
it non-standard.

Collections
Albums
Projects
Folders

In Apple Aperture:  A folder can contain other folders, or it can contain a
project.
All image files have to be in a project.

An Album is a virtual construct that under the hood is a link/alias
pointing to an image in a project.

A smart album is a stored search.  You can search within it.  Albums

I've not used software that included collections, except that I think a
trial of Photo Supreme.

***

There is no requirement that the organizational structure of what you see
is reflected in the file structure underneath. Aperture makes accessing the
actual image locations difficult.  It takes a lot of extra work to make an
image database robust against file browsers moving files around, and
changing their names.

I've felt for some time there was merit in having some finer grained
divisions in organizing photos:

I like the idea of project.  A wedding.  A birthday party.  Vacation in
Italy.
Within a project you may have events:  The wedding would have rehearsal,
rehearsal dinner, pre wedding, wedding, churchyard, reception.  A vacation
could be split by days, or cities,
Within an event you might have a shoot.  This would be all the shots you
took without taking the camera away from your face.  E.g. the 12 shots of
him putting the ring on her finger.

The advantage for me for this is the potential to speed keywording, and to
find something later.  If you knew that Susan spilled wine on her dress in
Dresden, then finding the Dresden event just sped your search up.

Regards

Sherwood