On dimanche 5 juillet 2020 19:50:45 CEST Guillermo Rozas wrote:
> > If I understand correctly - SQLite won't work well in a client / server
> > mode
> >
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1321493/sqlite-for-client-server
>
> In the case of darktable the problem described there (performance because
> of simultaneous access) won't be a big issue. The problem is that SQLite
> doesn't have the access locking and multi-access control baked in, you need
> to code your own database server that includes those features. So it won't
> be as simple as saying "let multiple instances access the library", there
> must be a middle-program written for it.
>
> You could use another database format, like digiKam that has MySQL support
> (optional and experimental), but then the user needs to provide its own
> MySQL server, so it's not 'easy' to use.
>
> > It may be an approach to go around with synchronizing the DB on 2 or
> > more machines (I haven't tried it actually)
>
> You can certainly do that, but you will still have the same problems I
> described before (probably worse because syncing is real time in this
> case). The problem is not how do you share the databases, the problem is
> that you share them at all ;)

Another problem is latency, whenever there's a network involved. That was a
recurrent problem for Digikam, even with MySQL, simply due to the amount of
data that had to be transported over a relatively narrow channel (compared to
local disk access). It wouldn't be that noticable when editing files one by
one, but using the DAM functions could be slow...

Remco