On mercredi 19 août 2020 23:00:17 CEST Guillermo Rozas wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 19.08.2020, 14:40 -0400 schrieb Michael:
> > > I thought compiling led to faster?
> >
> > This might be the case or not. Depending on your CPU. When you
> > compile for your machine, the compiler can set all optimization
> > options according to your system. A package maintiner however
> > has to compile it in a way that it runs on all possible CPUs
> > the package is meant for. This means it can not take best advantage
> > of non standart CPU features you might have paid you CPU mmanufacturer
> > for. A special built for your system can.
>
> That was the case before (although I don't know how much faster). However,
> last time I asked I was told that darktable's binaries are now compiled for
> different architectures [1], so this should be less important. So... YMMV ;)
>
> Regards,
> Guillermo
>
> [1] https://discuss.pixls.us/t/darktable-3-0-1-compilation-issues/17084/4

A lot of the calculation-intensive work is done through openCL, and those
parts are compiled at *runtime*. So getting the non-openCL part a few percent
faster isn't going to have that much influence, the more as that part concerns
user interaction. And user-interaction is boring for computers (they spend
most of their time waiting...)

And getting the fastest possible executable means picking the right compiler
settings, not always that straigh-forward.

Remco