Le 25/07/2023 à 13:57, Remco Viëtor a écrit :
On mardi 25 juillet 2023 10:57:27 CEST tony Hamilton wrote:
(...)Given my level of skill and understanding
, coupled with the non-specific nature of the error messages generated
by CMake, it is impossible for somebody like me to determine precisely
what package dependencies are missing from my instance of Linux. Result:
compile is bound to fail, until somebody like me gets help from somebody
like you.

But behind all this frustration there is somebody (somebodies) who know
EXACTLY what the dependencies are. It would transform the compile
success rate for somebody like me if those dependencies were completely
documented somewhere, or, better still, if there was a command which I
could copy/paste that would act to meet all those dependencies.
But the dependencies *are* listed, just before the (perhaps outdated) commands
to install them. The list gives you the library name and minimum required
version (if any). It cannot give the package names to install, as they vary
between distributions (and perhaps even versions). Then again, I think most
distributions have a graphical package manager, with search function (Yast for
OpenSUSe, Synaptic(?) for Mint)... And make sure you install the required
development packages as well..

There is a learning curve for compiling programs, but once you master it, you
are a lot less dependant on packagers.

When you run into issues, remember to look at the first error message listed,
it's usually the most important (note: *error* message, information and
warning messages are often less helpful).
I faced this exact same problem when trying to compile 4.4.1, along with the one related to compiler being obsolete. I did not know about the apt-cache search command, so I did search through the net and could find most of the missing libraries. The other one was the export tip, that I now know about, thanks to your contribution. However, people like Tony, many others and I are casual compilers - I personally only do this mainly for dt. So there is really very few chances for us to master the compiling process. I did read the howto pages before trying to compile 4.4.1, but I finally had to ask for help. I know that listing everything that is needed for a peculiar task is tedious - I do this more than once at work, I have to do it on my spare time, and I am neither paid for that, nor rewarded in any way. But then, I am sure that the colleagues that read the docs can go through the whole process - if they even will read it, but this is another thing. There will always be people that will not read the howtos, but then the ones which will have will be able to help them and let the devs do what they really are involved in : offer us this wonderful piece of software.
Yes, I know : I am a dreamer...

Rgrds,

J.-Luc