Bill,
Thanks for the clarification!
See, as someone who doesn't know how to write code, those are things that I
wouldn't even KNOW to think of!
And why I was cautious about the way I worded my questions.
As Rumsfeld said, "We don't know what we don't know."
And what you've laid out makes perfect sense.
It all gives me a clearer picture of why things are the way they are.
Would I LIKE to help out with the documentation?
Yeah, I would.
Do I have the time to actually lend a hand?
Sadly not.
I already struggle to keep up with my own self-imposed timetable for
putting out new videos.

*That we want to correctly document the way the software actually works?*

Yeah, good point!
I'll get back in my box now. :)
What the developers do on this project is nothing short of amazing.
I reckon darktable ranks as one of the shining lights in the world of FOSS.
It's awesome.
Thanks to yourself and everyone else involved.
Cheers.