Hey Perry,

DM1 implements Active Record pattern so there's no big difference between
DM1 and ActiveRecord in Rails from the app's design point of view. You
*can* separate persistence concerns from domain logic using either DM1 or
AR; however, it adds a lot of extra work so you should really think if
that's what you need.

It's also probably worth to mention that DM1's development is no longer
very active. We're busy working on the next major version of DM which
implements Data Mapper pattern and that's probably something you're looking
for unfortunately it's not finished yet.

If you want to learn about DM 2.0 you can check out my slides from
RubyShift
conf: https://speakerdeck.com/solnic/datamapper-2-an-object-mapping-toolkit

DM1, given its stale development, is not really a good choice IMHO.
ActiveRecord has much better support in Rails and you can face various
integration issues when using DM1 (no matter how much I hate to admit that
heh). It is also a big unknown when and even IF we're going to release DM
1.3.0.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

# solnic