Rich Bowen wrote:
However, based on your comment, I'm not sure if that is the case. So
perhaps, in my parochial view of the world (which I like to think of as
anything but parochial!) "people" means "Americans with Christian
heritage."
Don't count out the Jews, who also consider Sunday to be the first day of the week (and did that long before the Christian's splintered off ;~).

http://www.tondering.dk/claus/cal/node6.html#SECTION00660000000000000000

Can you elaborate on your "fought and won" comment? Because it is not
nearly as clear as that to me. I very firmly think of Sunday as day 1,
and have thought that long before I used Perl, and every calendar that I
saw at the mall over the last several weeks displays the week that way.

"Fought and won(?)" referred to the fact that ISO-8601 mandates that Monday is the first day of the week. All international standards are a long fought out compromise between numerous factions. We ignore those battles and compromises at our peril, regardless of "common usage" considerations.

A lot of the 0-based vs 1-based arguments should be resolved simply by having our interface design in place. Programmers will be less inclined to have to look up some 0-based array when the API we provide does it for them, i.e.

month[$date->month_num] vs. $date->month both return January

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group