On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:48:58 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>But this leads to this question: should DateTime use the Gregorian
>calendar before 1754 as it does now, or the Julian date? I can think of
>arguments for both.

Gregorian, please.

>If the first, I would like to see (and if necessary, write) a module
>DateTime::Calendar::Christian::English, which uses the Julian calendar
>until 1754. And 49+ other modules, each corresponding to a J-G switch.
>
>Eugene
>
>P.S. I suspect you don't like the term Christian; does anyone know
>another name for the combination of the Julian and Gregorian calendars?
>CommonEra? AD?

If you are thinking of the official calendar of the country of England
(which country no longer exists, AFAIUI) perhaps you want just
DateTime::Calendar::England?

Though you may not want to go there.  To quote myself from a thread on
perl-qotw-discuss
(http://perl.plover.com/~alias/list.cgi?1:mss:212:200210:opgjgkaekofdkgbkjabf):

>No one has even mentioned the year-starting issue yet.  When England
>switched to Gregorian, they also switched the beginning of the year
>from March 25 to Jan 1 (though Scotland already started the year at
>Jan 1 beginning 1600).  For instance, March 24 1660 is followed by
>March 25 1661, and Dec 31 1660 is followed by Jan 1 1660.  Other
>places and times also had odd year-start dates (March 1, Sept 1,
>March 25, major Xtian holidays).

ObStoppard:
Ros: I don't believe in it anyway.
Guil: What?
Ros: England.
Guil: Just a conspiricay of cartographers, you mean?