On Tuesday 25 August 2009, Paulraj, Sandeep wrote:
> Soon TI will support a DVSDK release based on the DaVinci GIT
> kernel for DM355 and DM365.
>
> The entire DVSDK release uses EDAM API's for some resource
> management and to acquire resources(Channels, PARAMS).
>
> But under the current implementation very few channels can be
> acquired by the "Linuxutils" component of the DVSDK which manages
> EDMA resources.

So why not just fix that "Linuxutils" stuff??

> In DM355 very few channels can be acquired using the EDMA_CHANNEL_ANY
> and in DM365 0 channels can be acquired with this option.

Right; there are only so many EDMA channels that aren't wired up to any
hardware, and that's what CHANNEL_ANY provides.

> Thus I propose to use 2 patches
>
>       [deleted]
>
> What this will effectively do is to change the meaning of th
> e "dma_chan_dm355_no_event" structure. Other channels do have
> events associated with them but we "intentionally" add them to
> this structure so that it can be acquired by the DVSDK.

Seems like an especially ugly hack.  Why not just define some
new EDMA_CHANNEL_* selector with new semantics?

What's unclear is just why you chose those numbers.  I suspect
the issue is that you just want to avoid channels which are
(a) used by Linux drivers, and (b) the board uses the relevant
driver.  Suggesting a name like EDMA_CHANNEL_HW_UNUSED.

So if for example the UART driver doesn't use EDMA the UART
channels could be candidates ... as could GPIO banks in most
cases, and "direct" GPIOs on a more board-specific basis.

- Dave