On Friday 28 August 2009, Tivy, Robert wrote:

> > And a fairly trivial thing to implement too ... just a driver
> > model call to walk the platform_bus devices, then an array
> > iteration to find the DMA resources.
>
> Is this something that can be implemented today, with the current
> driver model,

Yes; bus_for_each_dev(&platform_bus_type, ...) then using
platform_device.resource[] to check for channels.

> or would it need some new information to be added to every DMA-using
> driver? (sorry for asking you to educate me, but I'm just not that
> familiar with all the driver specifics)

Given they fetch their channels correctly (as resources), all
the data is already in place.  ASoC was trouble in the past;
fixed now, I hope.

> > codecs, mostly.
> >
> > My suggestion made many such channels available.
> >

> Great.  BTW, I've been told that future codecs would want on the
> order of 50 EDMA_ANY-type channels.

Sounds a bit excessive; like they needlessly refuse to share
those resources!  But if that's on hardware with channels to
burn, so be it.

- Dave