denis walker via db-wg wrote on 20/09/2018 13:04:
This does raise a number of questions:

the requirement for admin-c and tech-c derive from what was thought to be useful information to have at hand at the time when network registrations were starting out at the InterNIC, way back in the late 1980s. These token made their way into ripe81 as machine-parseable fields, then into ripe181.

This dates from the time when we all had fingerd enabled, for example, and when SMTP ETRN and VRFY usually returned something useful, and when gopher was hot stuff and when 2mbit/s links were so outrageously fast that it was normal to boast about the speed in the DNS PTR records for your router interface IP addresses. Thankfully we've moved on from at least some of these things, but they all shared one characteristic: "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Really we have three questions: is what we have both legal and fit for purpose? (hard to tell), could we bang heads together to come up with a new schema which would be comfortably legally compliant and technically fit for purpose? (probably yes), and can we come up with a migration plan from one to the other which can be implemented before the heat death of the universe? (highly unlikely).

Nick