Hello,

I would like to suggest an improvement:

In the whois database backend, each textual attribute (last name, etc) can have
an additional column and in that column the punycode-representation of the
attribute value can be written.

The punycode-representation can be added in the related column only if there
was at least a single non-ascii character in the textual value that was
inputted by the user, otherwise it will be empty.

The punycode-representation can be in the format of
[FIELD-NAME]--[punycode-ascii-characters] instead of
xn--[punycode-ascii-characters], in order to avoid duplication with textual
strings that starts with "xn--".

There shouldn't be "punycode representation" columns in the database for
email-related fields, nor for object-reference fields.

Using the above, old protocols will still be able to interact with the database
as they are now, no ground up development of the whole backend will be needed
to support internationalization, the new "punycode-representation" columns
encoding is similar to the encoding of the current columns, end-users will be
able to use their internationalized names and other internationalized textual
strings, RIPE NCC will be able to display internationalized strings online and
through supported-services.

Regards,
Elad