> [...]  But people will start making assumptions about it,
> especially in the geo location area, as they have done for
> years with the also meaningless country values in INET(6)NUM
> objects.

Following up on the tangent of "contry" for inet(6)num objects:

I realize that there are cases where the address space is in use in
multiple countries.  However, I would guess that is rather the
exception than the rule.  Would it not have been nice if a network
address holder could indicate to geo location providers a "full
override" to "idiot automation" that "yes, the entirety of use of
this address space is being used by users who come from within the
borders of this country"?  This would then work irrespective of
e.g. users bringing their cell phones with them with (GPS and other)
location services turned on to vacations in faraway places and
VPNing in to your network, and immediately causing all your VPN
users for that VPN concentrator to be geo-located to that country?
(Yes, we have had that happen, and getting it fixed is apparently
going to take months!)

That would make it so that the geo-feed URLs would only be necessary
to maintain and serve a useful purpose for those address space
holders which use their address space in more than one country.

It's permitted to dream, right?

Yes, I know, getting universal agreement on this or something like
it from all the sundry geo-location providers is basically *never*
going to happen, and instead the geo-location providers farm out the
effort of collecting and maintaining geo-location data to all the
address space holders instead.  Sigh!

And for IPv6 you basically have to list shorter prefixes than what
the "idiot automation" insists on using internally but in all
probability does not document externally, so you have to rely on
unsubstantiated rumours from other ISPs.  Double sigh!

And each attempt apparently has a "duty cycle" of a month or more.
Triple sigh!

Geo location providers are just the worst to work with!
Particularly if you have not had to bother with them earlier.

Best regards,

- Håvard