Hi Ed

Thanks for the explanation. But as I explained to Cynthia, "org-name:"
and "country:" are very different attributes. The org-name is just a
free text label by which an organisation is known. Whatever label is
specified, people know what its purpose is, even if the value is not
verified by the NCC. With country, the country codes have a well
defined meaning, but when entered by users no one knows what it's
purpose is. Is it the country where the end user is legally based, as
with the NCC verified values? Is it where their servers are based, or
maybe where the majority of their assigned addresses are used, but
perhaps not all of them. We know from the "country:" attribute in the
resource objects that people will interpret this information and often
assign the wrong purpose to it. The RIPE NCC will spend the next 20
years telling people you cannot reliably use (a subset of) this data
for purpose A or B...

cheers
denis
co-chair DB-WG