Dear RIPE DBWG,

...comments below, inline, please!

Le jeudi 26 janvier 2023, Ángel González Berdasco via db-wg <db-wg@ripe.net>
a écrit :

> 26-01-2023 17:46 +0100, Sylvain Baya wrote:
> > Le mardi 24 janvier 2023, denis walker via db-wg <db-wg@ripe.net> a
> > écrit :
> > > Colleagues
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Most people seem to assume it can be reliably used for geolocation
> > > purposes. That would be the most obvious use case for this
> > > attribute.
> > > Entering an optional value would signify that all the addresses in
> > > this block are used within the geographical boundary of the country
> > > defined by the code. Where the addresses are used in multiple
> > > countries, it may be possible to show this at the assignment object
> > > level. Otherwise the optional country: attribute could be omitted
> > > and
> > > the geolocation information would be determined by the geofeed:
> > > attribute.
> > >

> > Hi Denis,
> > Thanks for your email, brother!
> >

> > imho:
> > ...no need to ommit it; if it's possible to (i) interpret
> > country: attribute values as default, when it exist,
> > for INET(6)NUM objects without geofeed: attribute
> > values; and (ii) give priority to geofeed: attribute
> > values against country: ones.
> >

> > Shalom,
> > --sb.
>
> I understand the proposal as already doing this: geofeed
> would have priority over country.
>
> The point is: If the country attribute means 'all the addresses in
> this block are used within the geographical boundary
> of the country', what else could you do when that's not the case?

Angel,

Maybe the 'ZZ' or 'AA' ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes
could serve out there?

...imho:
1| publish the right location;
2| add a geofeed: attribute to share it properly;
3| leave the whole system do its 'magic';
4| enjoy! ;-)

...btw, i remind that you can actually have mutiple entries of different
values for the country: attribute
 within the same inet(6)num object :-)

country: [mandatory] [multiple] [  ]

geofeed: [optional] [single] [  ]

> You have to modify the value to allow something else than ISO
> country codes (e.g. allow an optional trailing asterisk to the country
> code to mean not all really fall in that country)

...i'm not sure it's needed, though :-/

Why not simply keep that attribute without value?
Remember!
...in the proposal it would be optional :-) & might
become meaningless when multiple locations are
served...particularly when there is only a single
value for the given country: attribute...

...note that, ISO 3166-2 [*] codes could be allowed too! :-/
__
[*]: ISO - ISO 3166-2:2020 - Codes for the representation of names of
countries and their subdivisions — Part 2: Country subdivision code
<https://www.iso.org/standard/72483.html>

> The only case I can think were you could use a ISO 3166-1 with the
> above
> meaning of "all the addresses in this block are used within the
> geographical boundary of the country defined by the code" (loosening it
> somewhat), but still being on different countries would be when using
> the
> exceptional reservation of EU to mean that all those addresses are
> within
> the borders of the European Union, but not on a single country.

Ok! but...
...as said above, the country: attribute within a given
 inet(6)num object may have more than one values.

...imho! you should be allowed to actually freely use
 EU as a country: attribute; due to the fact that it's a
valid ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code...as you can see:

<quote>
"*Exceptionally reserved codes – codes that have *
*been reserved for a particular use at special request*
* of a national ISO member body, governments or *
*international organizations. For example, the code *
*UK has been reserved at the request of the United *
*Kingdom so that it cannot be used for any other *
*country.*"
</quote>
__
https://www.iso.org/glossary-for-iso-3166.html#:~:text=Exceptionally%20reserved%20codes,any%20other%20country
.

...a staff could confirm, if it's actually the case :-/

When the Staff shares a concern, i understand
that the community, via the working group, has
the opportunity consider how to solve the issue.

For that reason, and other already mentioned,
i'm ok with a *default* (not mandatory; but still
multiple) *meaning* for a country: attribute value;
 superseded (if available) by a (also optional;
maybe multiple too?) geofeed: attribute value.

...i have also expressed interest on an idea willing
to differentiate country: attributes, in creating
another one...i would, then prefer to keep the
existing attribute as is and add a second one
with the new meaning...if it could help more in
documentation improvement ;-)

Hope this clarifies my point, brother.

Shalom,
--sb.