I suggest that this is not just a localized decision of the db-wg, but
has global implications. You are discussing a field whose value is
interpreted both directly from WHOIS and RDAP, and less directly from
delegated files in the registry system across all the RIR. Your
consumers are my consumers, and ARINs and LACNIC and AfriNICs. It is a
global market of consumption.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about the risks here, but I
suggest that the decision to deprecate or alter behavior with this
field is not something which a single RIR should undertake without a
wider conversation.

Obviously my statement has no "normative force". We're not discussing
address policy, we're not discussing "global address policy" and in
any case, RIR secretariat staff aren't "in charge" here, its something
discussed inside your own process.

I just think that there's a global context which is very important:
Cohesion of this data across the "ecology" is a really big
deliverable.

cheers

-George