From: db-wg <db-wg-boun...@ripe.net> On Behalf Of denis walker via db-wg
Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2023 3:52 AM
To: Leo Vegoda <l...@vegoda.org>
Cc: RIPE Database WG <db-wg@ripe.net>; Havard Eidnes <h...@uninett.no>; George
Michaelson <g...@algebras.org>
Subject: Re: [db-wg] country codes in the RIPE Database (was: ORGANISATION
country code)

CAUTION: This email originated from an external sender! Do not click the links,
open attachments or reply, unless you recognize/trust the sender's email
address and know the content is safe!

Hi Leo

On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 at 01:29, Leo Vegoda <l...@vegoda.org> wrote:

> This mailing list. You said it.
>
> Lots of people from different types of organisations use data that
> helps them without deep-diving into the communities that produce it.

The community that produces this data doesn't dive very deep either.

> Half the problem is that the RIPE community has spent 20 years writing
> documentation that is barely glanced at by developers who decide that
> this data means what they want it to mean.

And half of those developers who barely glance at this documentation are the
ones whose developments create this data.

>  But do people from the RIPE
> community engage with the people who run GeoIP databases?

Only a handful of the RIPE community engages with this mailing list, so I doubt
many of them engage with GeoIP people about the RIPE Database.

> How can we
> complain that people misunderstand us if we don't actively engage with
> them about what they need the data to mean?

The difficulty here is defining 'people' and 'us' and the overlap and how and
where active engagement could take place and where to publicise any outcome of
such engagement that would make the outcome effective.

The problem is simple:
-"country:" in resource objects has never been defined -that fact is well
documented in places no one reads -it is discussed in places creators and users
of this data don't follow -it is a mandatory attribute so all resource objects
must have this data -no one knows what the resource holders mean by it -no one
knows what consumers perceive it to mean -by using it to influence geolocation
we probably pollute the wider GeoIP data set -we have spent 20+ years telling
people they can't use it for GeoIP but we know they still do -if we give it a
definition now, many creators and consumers will never get the message

So the solution is also simple
-no registry data depends on it
-no one can rely on it
-it has no value in it's indeterminate state ---so delete it

THEN we can have a discussion about what 'people' want 'us' to provide. Maybe a
new, optional "geo-country:" attribute with a clear definition from the start
and guidelines on usage, with a name that implies what it means even if you
don't read anything about it. By deleting the current useless data we might get
a few more people to join the discussion on how to move forward.

But there is another interesting aspect to this. We had a lively discussion
last year on "geofeed:". Lots of people from the community were involved in
that discussion. Where are they now? This discussion has turned into a more
general debate about the use of the RIPE Database for GeoIP purposes. Why were
so many people so interested in "geofeed:" but avoid a more general geolocation
discussion? Why are so few people publicly arguing for or against this use of
the RIPE Database and how to do it? (...and one speaks as I am writing this
email.)

cheers
denis
co-chair DB-WG