On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:24:59PM -0500, Jeff Urlwin wrote:

> > > The "Driver" test would, IMHO, be VERY dependant upon the
> > conformance
> > > tests, to know what to test and to know how to approach inserts,
> > > deletes, etc.
> >
> > What do you mean by "how to approach inserts ..."?
>
> Actually, it's more how to approach creating the temp table (getting the
> DBMS specific sql type name for a given type), so that you *can* insert.

Right, and that's what I've said the DBI::Test per-dbtype subclass will do.

> > I expect your DBD::ODBC tests will provide valuable input to
> > Tom's design.
>
> I hope so.  If nothing else, to see some of the things that I had to deal
> with.  Some drivers don't report support for SQL_INTEGER, but do support
> SQL_SMALLINT because their integers do not reach the range of the ODBC spec.
> I suspect that since it seems that some people are using DBD::ODBC to get
> type info from their DB (thanks Steffan!), I suspect that issue will be
> perpetuated.

It would be interesting to include tests for the edge cases
(min and max values etc) for some types like ints and floats.
We could validate that what type_info returns is a) true as far as
it goes (ie SQL_SMALLINT) and b) could be changed if the range
of values/precision/scale etc is wide enough.

But that's icing the cake we haven't baked yet.