Dan Scott wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:29:40 -0800, Darren Duncan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 8:55 AM +0000 3/9/05, Martin J. Evans wrote:

Just a small point.
I could be wrong (I cannot look it up right now) but I think in ODBC
SQLEndTran
can issue a rollback or commit on ALL connections. Effectively, it issues the
rollback/commit on each connection in the environment.
That would be a lot harder to do with $dbh->do since you'd have to do it once
per connection.

If you wanted a global action in DBI, then reasonable syntax could be to issue the rollback/commit on the DBI class name rather than on a connection handle object. Either that, or restructure DBI so that the first thing a user does is create an "environment handle" object, off of which they call connect(), which incidentally saves us having to use any package globals. -- Darren Duncan

Can someone provide a scenario where you would want to issue a global
rollback or commit?

Perhaps (probably) I'm suffering from a limited imagination here, but
it seems like you would want to rollback or commit on a connection by
connection basis.

Dan

2PC. But DBI doesn't support that (yet).

However, some of these arguments are starting to
bring me around to the original notion. If DBI
ever gets a full 2PC capability, such capability
may be desirable (or at least, the creation of
"commit groups", as an earlier poster intimated.)

Dean Arnold
Presicient Corp.