On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 01:31:57PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:56:43 +0100, Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Having said all that, I can see some value in having a separate driver
> > > trace level. I suggest a few of the "middle 16 bits" are given over to
> >
> > IMHO 4 bits will do (0..15). If that is correct, I'll also change the
> > levels to leave the basic levels 1 and 2 alone.
>
> Actually I'd rather squeeze the levels concept down to 0..7 for both DBI
> and DBD levels in order to make two more flag bits available and to
> encourage greater use of flags.

FWIW, DBD::Informix uses trace levels from about 3 to 9 (leaving 1 and 2 for
DBI output only).

Whether that matters is another issue, but 4 bits would be preferred (though
three is not the end of the world).  Unless you have a use for those 2 bits
at the back of your mind...

--
Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org