On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 02:53:33 +0000, Lyle <webmas...@cosmicperl.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>    Whilst working on another project it made sense to write a tool for
> comparing the various RDBMSs. I'm talking about the database management
> systems themselves, not databases within them. So far I've done parts
> that use $dbh->type_info_all() to compare what types SQL Server,
> Postgres, Oracle and MySQL have available and their details. Generating
> reports like:
> http://cosmicperl.com/rdbms/compare_types.html
> http://cosmicperl.com/rdbms/compare_type_details.html

Very useful indeed, but I'm afraid that it also depends on the version
of the database(s). I've done several talks about the deficiencies of
RDBMS's and basically, there is no perfect database: they all have
their hatred areas *). Choose the one that best fits your current needs
(even if that is a flat-file solution).

What would you need (as perl-script output) to extend that info for
DBD::Unify (which I still have access to) and DBD::CSV, DBD::SQLite

*) http://tux.nl/Talks/DBDc/quo1.html
   http://tux.nl/Talks/DBDc/name.html
   http://tux.nl/Talks/DBDc/null.html

> I'm not yet sure as to whether the mapping from the RDBMSs local sql
> type to the ones the DBI recognises is done by the DBD driver, or
> whether this is already predetermined by the RDBMS...
>
> Let me know if this isn't interesting to you all and I'll keep it off list.
>
> Lyle

using perl5.00307 .. 5.17   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE