On Mon, 21 May 2001, Tim Bunce wrote:

> > > This is annoying; that's twice today I've received a private email from
> > > someone on the list, with just me in the headers, only to have it show
> > > up later with _both_ me _and_ the rest of the list in the headers.

[ assuming we talk about Reply-To munging ]

Even the simplest of email filtering systems should be able to
filter that. Either into a separate box, and/or filter duplicate
messages.

> > > Is this a "feature" of the dbi-users list somehow?

Yes, and it's not going away.

IIRC the new versions of the email RFC's are also explicit about not
doing that kind of non-sense. :-)

> > You have to choose reply all, to get it in the mailing list cause hitting
> > reply only, will send it to just the private email adress.

Remember that someone doing that by mistake is in much better shape
than the guy next door who by mistake sends a useless mail to more
than 1500 people.

> > After that you will receive it twice... One from the mailing
> > list and one from your private email.....

Aside from the fact that some people like that then for example this
.procmailrc rule can fix it. Surely your mail server and/or mail
user agent must have similar functionality,

# delete duplicates
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 16384 .msgid.cache

# match mails with [EMAIL PROTECTED] in any recipient field.
:0:
* ^[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Anyway, please read the
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html document. Then you're
welcome to come back for a Holy War; but it's not all that likely
that the list settings are going to change.

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();