We don't set INFORMIXDIR in the scripts, the system is set up so all
accounts (including web, the account that owns all the web content and
scripts) have $INFORMIXDIR set to /usr/informix.

What is odd is that for the SAME script, it will display $DBI::errstr
correctly once, and then the next several times it'll only display the
error code.  Since it's a fast cgi script, each of the separate
invocations of the script should be inheriting the same $INFORMIXDIR
environmental var.

Thanks for the info... I'll just have to continue digging into this and
see if there's a pattern I'm missing.

Thanks
--Curt