On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Curt Russell Crandall wrote:
>We don't set INFORMIXDIR in the scripts, the system is set up so all
>accounts (including web, the account that owns all the web content and
>scripts) have $INFORMIXDIR set to /usr/informix.

But web servers explicitly reset the environment to the absolute minimum.

>What is odd is that for the SAME script, it will display $DBI::errstr
>correctly once, and then the next several times it'll only display the
>error code.  Since it's a fast cgi script, each of the separate
>invocations of the script should be inheriting the same $INFORMIXDIR
>environmental var.

I'm not sure about this; I don't know how environment might be reset by
FastCGI servers -- but I'm moderately confident that the problem is in
the environment.  Somehow.  Web servers and faults with accessing a
database systems are (almost) invariably environment related.

--
Yours,
Jonathan Leffler ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) #include <disclaimer.h>