Tim Bunce wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 12:43:49PM +0100, Simon Oliver wrote:
>
>>Would it be possible to get DBI::PurePerl + pure perl drivers (DBD::ADO
>>and DBD::AnyData) into core perl.  That would start the road to a
>>guaranteed DBMS implementation on all platforms.
>>

> If you're going to put DBI::PurePerl into the perl distribution
> then you might as well put the whole DBI there. It's not very big.

Defintiely.  And don't forget dbish and friends!

> Then there's the whole issue of which drivers to include or not.

One way to go would be to include *all* pure perl drivers, there aren't
that many of them.  (But wait for the next release of AnyData, the
current one stinks :-).

Another thing to consider is that if the Perl community doesn't decide
these things, other communities will.  I just learned that Debian Linux
comes with my ancient DBD::RAM rather than the newer DBD::AnyData.  Each
Linux distribution (and other kinds of distributions as well I'd guess)
makes choices about the modules to include and they do often package in
the DBI with *their* selection of drivers.  So it might as well be us
who makes the selection.

--
Jeff