No. I'm not using placeholders. I'm stuffing all my INSERT variables into a "DO" statement. The one example I found on place holders was a "any DBI" example for "SELECT" not "INSERT." I changed the syntax and I didn't get an error but it wasn't inserted either.

Thanks.

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 11:15 AM, PARLEY,THUNDER (HP-MountainView,ex1) wrote:

You are using placeholders, right? ;-)

--Thunder

-----Original Message-----
From: gregg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 9:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MySQL DBI problem

I am trying to read email off a mail server using perl, parse it, and
then store the fields in a MySQL database.  I managed to write the
first two parts in a couple of days, but now I've spent two weeks
trying to get the fields into a the "Messages" database.  I have got
several fields to go in and then I ran the same script the next day
with no changes and it wasn't working any longer.

I have run into about every problem imaginable and I can't get a stable
script.  Once when I thought I had it working, the script started
carping because there were embedded quotes in the email body which it
interpreted as delimiters.  I tried the "qw" function and it was
bitching about another syntax problem.

I have a few books on Perl that have DBI examples but they are not made
for MySQL and the examples are very Mickey Mouse compared to what I'm
trying to do.  Any suggestions or directions to potential resources
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gregg