Peter J. Holzer wrote:
On 2003-02-25 21:34:52 -0800, Jonathan Leffler wrote:

Generally speaking, I've been impressed with 5.8.0 on both Solaris 7 (UltraSparc) and also on MacOS X (10.2.3 at the moment). On MacOS X, there's a peculiarity in the way CPAN and CPANPLUS manage to put the first character of output on the last character of the previous line, but I assume that's something to do with terminal description and/or curses implementation rather than a Perl problem per se.

Is there a mailing-list for diskussing Term::Readline issues?

Not that I know of. I assume we could read 'perldoc Term::ReadLine' and see what that tells us...

I have seen the same behaviour  with various perl versions (5.6.x, 5.8.,
maybe even 5.005) on Linux and HP-UX for some time (don't know exactly
when it started), so I think this is a generel problem with
Term::Readline (I think, maybe its somewhere else), not one with a
specific curses implementation.

Let's see. The manual starts:

NAME
       Term::ReadLine - Perl interface to various "readline"
       packages. If no real package is found, substitutes stubs
       instead of basic functions.

It works fine on my Solaris box, but I have libreadline.so in the paths hoooked into Perl, so maybe the trouble is with those stubs? When I poke around my MacOS X box, I don't immediately find libreadline.dylib (the Darwin equivalent of the .so), so this is a possibility.

And the manual, unfortunately, ends without any author attribution or advice on where to go for help. And if you ask CPAN to download the source, it goes out to get J/JH/JHI/perl-5.8.0.tar.gz, so it appears to be a totally core module.

As a workaround, you can unset the EDITOR variable.

Intriguing -- and effective. I wonder how that happens! What's your value for $EDITOR - mine is usually vi or vim.

--
Jonathan Leffler ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]) #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix 1.04.PC1 -- http://dbi.perl.org/