My test case is part of a big script that requires BioPerl.  What I'll do is
to pull it out into a self-contained script.

Frankly I don't think that this has anything to do with DBI, but rather
something fundamental that changed with Perl's IO handling.  A whole bunch of
symptoms showed up in 5.8:

        1) tied print in mod_perl stopped working
        2) mysterious hangs with the IPC::Open2 library
        3) failure of large transfers via DBI

Lincoln

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 03:01 pm, Tim Bunce wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:13:47AM -0500, Thomas Good wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Tim Bunce wrote:
> > > Anyone using perl 5.8.0?
> > >
> > > Jarkko and I would be interested in any feedback you may have.
> > > Obviously my main interest is with DBI and drivers but Jarkko's
> > > is wider.
> > >
> > > Please reply to Jarkko (CC'd) and then also CC me if your reply
> > > includes any feedback related to the DBI and/or the new signal
> > > handling in perl 5.8.0.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Tim.
> > >
> > > p.s. Jarkko, for those who don't know, maintains perl 5.8.0.
> >
> > While I was using 5.8 large data transfers via DBI failed consistently.
> > I have compared notes with others (including Lincoln Stein) and this
> > problem is easily reproduced.  In fact, I can't stop reproducing it. ;-)
> >
> > I posted this on the DBI list awhile back and got no takers
>
> I must have missed it. Please send all the details to me ASAP. Thanks.
>
> A self-contained test case would be ideal!
>
> > so opted to
> > return to 5.6.1 until 5.8.0 is more stable or a patch repairs this
> > problem.  I did no investigation as to why data transfer fails so
> > miserably (hangs until killed with an interrupt) as I simply don't have
> > the time or resources for experimentation - especially as I have found
> > 5.6.1 to be very solid.  You might speak to Dr. Stein (regarding
> > causality) as he made me aware that this is a known problem.  He related
> > to me that he also has returned to 5.6.1 on production equipment.
>
> I've CC'd Lincoln incase he can shed any extra light on the problem.
>
> Tim.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                         Cold Spring Harbor, NY