I have a complex, prewritten subroutine that is supposed to return a numeric value from a MySQL database table. it actually works quite well, most of the time, but sometimes it returns an undefined value, a non-numeric value, or basically anything except a valid numeric value.

This is OK in the sense that it just means they are records to be ignored, but I am having trouble figuring out how to determine if it is just a simple numeric value or a string or null, or whatever, so I can decide how to process it.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,

Gregg Allen