At 18:30 -0600 5/27/03, Gregg Allen wrote:
I have a complex, prewritten subroutine that is supposed to return a numeric value from a MySQL database table. it actually works quite well, most of the time, but sometimes it returns an undefined value, a non-numeric value, or basically anything except a valid numeric value.

Do you mean that:

- the column type in the table is numeric, but the routine returns other
  kinds of values if the query fails
or
- the column holds strings of various types and you need to determine
  which ones look like numbers

The approach you need differs depending on which of these fits your
situation.

This is OK in the sense that it just means they are records to be ignored, but I am having trouble figuring out how to determine if it is just a simple numeric value or a string or null, or whatever, so I can decide how to process it.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,

Gregg Allen