> >Sorry, got my layers inverted
> >
> You and me both :)  And this whole mess I am introducing will fuzz the
> layers even more I'm afraid.
>
> >...SQL::Statement would be the app's interface,
> >rather than DBI, per se, yes ?
> >

> Umm, no, SQL::Statement is the RDBMS.  DBD::CSV, DBD::AnyData,
> DBD::Excel etc use it as the underlying engine to parse and evaluate the
> SQL.  So all of the changes I am suggesting will be available in the
> DBDs that use SQL::Statement (though depending on how things work out
> some of them may be specific to DBD::AnyData).   You can access
> SQL::Statement directly without those DBDs though I'm thinking that just
> using DBD::AnyData as a front end to it may be easier in some cases.
>
> One consequence of all this is, one will be able to use, for example
> DBD::AnyData to join two XBase tables even though DBD::XBase (the last I
> looked) doesn't support joins:
>
>         SELECT *
>           FROM [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>      LEFT JOIN [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes after my morning walk thru the rolling hills of Reno I realized...

One little item, related to your & Mssr. Bunce's thread on the subject,
is the ability to replace the explicit DSN used above with a connection
identifier...I think this is a DBI level issue (I may have suggested it
in the past), basically just adding an Identity attribute to the connection
handles. Tho I guess, since DBD::AnyData + SQL::Statement would
be handling the connection initation (correct ?), the connection
identifier could be assigned there...

> Hopefully I'll have this all sorted out enough to explain it in plain
> English at the OSCON BOF.
>
> --
> Jeff

Great, between this topic, Mssr. Bunce's presence, and free beer,
we may have SRO! ;^)

Dean