Okay, as it tunrs out maybe it is not all that difficult afterall... With the help from someone form the FreeTDS developers team I got it to work. All I had to do was the following:

~~~~~~
Since I just got this set up for myself...

odbc.ini:

[ODBC Data Sources]
TEST = Microsoft SQL Server 2000

[TEST]
Driver          = /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Description     = TEST Data
Trace           = No
Server          = 192.168.100.250
Database        = TEST
;Port            = 4444
TDS_Version     = 8.0

----------------

/etc/freetds.conf

[SERVER]
        host = 192.168.100.250 # server.test.local
        port = 1433
        tds version = 8.0

-----------------

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#
use DBI;

my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:ODBC:TEST", 'DOMAIN\user', 'domainpwd',
{PrintError => 1, RaiseError => 1, LongTruncOk=>1});

die "Unable for connect to server $DBI::errstr"
    unless $dbh;

~~~~~

My biggest error, other than borrowing unproven connect() syntax from who-knows-what-google-return, was in not declaring "dbi:ODBC:" in from of the data source and also in not defining my odbc.ini file. Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this issue

Robert