This sounds like a good idea.  I guess I just don't know enough about
databases yet to know how to do this linking.  Mostly I just know
about how to get DBI to interact with MySQL.

I should mention that I'd also like to be able to make some rules in
the "real" database temporarily disappear while testing, but I fear
this will make things even more complicated.