From: Rutherdale, Will [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:23 PM
To: Curtis Leach
Cc: dbi-users@perl.org
Subject: RE: Generic DBI question about backups

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't this simply a matter of
using DBD::CSV?  You could open two dbi handles, one to your existing
Oracle db and the other to a csv db.  Read from the one, write to the
other.  When you get the new schema set up on the new platform, do the
same thing in the reverse direction.

Of course you would have to review your schema to make sure all your
column definitions are simple universal data types supported by all
platforms.  If not then there would be a risk of information loss in
some cases.  You could treat such columns as special cases if necessary
and review your CSV data carefully before chucking the oracle version.

Then again you probably wouldn't want to chuck the Oracle db for a while
anyway just as a precaution, until you are convinced your app still
runs.  That might in fact make the intermediate CSV representation
unnecessary, but as usual there's more than one way to do it.

-Will

     - - - - -                              Cisco
- - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The
information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read,
print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.