On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 19:20:51 +0100, Peter Mottram <pe...@sysnix.com> wrote:

On 04/10/16 19:08, Matt S Trout wrote:
On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 12:49:49PM -0400, Ashley Pond V wrote:
I did say MST RFC:MUST be respected. :P This is only here because of
you. I was an early CDBI user and was there for the fights over its
direction and saw you as the voice of reason, patience, and vision.
Regardless of work done since, I see you as the owner. I was unaware
there was as much of a schism as there apparently is.

I don't know which approach is better. I feel the "permanent
development ban" you assert is misrepresenting the situation.
Well, I'm not sure how else I can interpret riba's call for a 'project
freeze', especially given that in

http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2016-October/012210.html

he appears to feel that the previous contributors attempting to continue
the project is "the worst possible direction, one I worked really hard to
save this codebase from."
My reading is more that this:

/> Really, if people upgrade, />/and encounter an issue .. they can either downgrade and wait, or pitch in />/and help (or pay someone to).. this is open source after all./

is not a viable option if the breakage causes data loss. Problems at the
data layer are simply unacceptable and can result in major financial
damage and people being fired. Some projects can afford to be much more
bleeding edge but I feel that DBIx::Class needs to be paranoid about
what is accepted in core. After all there are other options to allow
features to be added without touching core.

The above quote from me is the case with all code from CPAN.. like any code from the internet, if you're using it for things mission critical, you should do a test cycle with updates to new versions, and thus give yourself room to say "eek, new changes dont work for me, better not upgrade production".

I was not suggesting nor advocating that future changes might happen more randomly or without testing.. of course we'd like to keep a release cycle that releases test candidates to give people a chance to test etc. However nobody is perfect (not even Riba or MST), bugs will and do appear.

Without the community/users pitching in and testing/pointing out bugs/helping to resolve as I suggested, we'd have waaay more issues than we do.

A lot of the comments in this thread make me think its time for v9.. then folks with v8 can happily stagnate...

Jess