I have also noted that lines that have multiple colons in them will have them stripped out.

i.e.

::::4test
becomes
: 4test

and even

4:::::test
becomes
4: test

strangeness indeed.
not only does it add a colon but it also adds a space after the colon and strips multiple colons. Further packet analysis show that this format is the format presented by dbmail-imapd to the client.

lmtp capture
---------------------------------------

test
test
:1test
::2test
:::3test
::::4test
4::::::test

.
250 Message received OK
QUIT
250 Recipient <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> OK
-------------------------------------

becomes

imap capture
-------------------------------

: test
: test
: 1test
: 2test
: 3test
: 4test
4: test

 FLAGS (\Seen \Recent))
13 OK UID FETCH completed
-------------------------------

Thanks
Robert

Robert Theisen wrote:

Has anyone else seen a strange imap behavior in the 2.0 release candidates relating to colon characters?

It seems that in the body of my emails I am getting a colon added to the beginning of each line.
---------------------
This is

Another

Test

How about

Them
Colons
-----------------------
becomes
---------------------
: This is

: Another

: Test

: How about

: Them
: Colons

It only effects messages that are processed through the mailer. (i.e. not messages copied internally through imap, like copying to a Sent folder) And I have done a packet analysis and the packets are not being presented to the mailer (exim) by my client (mozilla) nor are the being presented via lmtp to dbmail-lmtpd by my mailserver. This still shows up even in rc3. I believe it may be associated with the rfcheader_dump function in imaputil.c line 727.

The colons do not show up in the messageblks table entries for the messages.

I suppose this could be a mozilla issue. I will do some work with ethereal and see if I can capture a imap stream to see what is being passed to my inbox.

Thanks
Robert