In reviewing the rfc, there is *no* "increment-only"
requiment in the rfc as defined in the current dbmail
implemenation.

(detailed in earlier messages from this thread.)

There are unique_id's detailed in the past messages...

-and-

message-ids which are as you said increment-only or
sequential per mailbox. However they can change per
session, meaning they are not static id's. The rfc
basically explains that they can change each
request/session, meaning they are really just the current
sequence in the mailbox.

Because of this we were discussing just generating the
message-id's on client request from the imap server and
removing them from the schema. They would essentially be
just the sequence number of a message within its mailbox
generated on the fly with the client request. If the
sequence changes during mailstore syncing, they are
reordered on the next request. This seems completely
consistant with the rfc.

It is a new discussion of course and different from the
current setup with dbmail, but solves the problem of
colliding message-id across multiple-servers and is
compliant with rfc.

As you said... "prove me wrong." ;)

But I'm pretty confident a thorough review of the messages
in this thread and the rfc would put us all on the same
page.

Its not that dbmail implementation is wrong.. its just
that the rfc leaves a lot of breathing room from where the
current implementation is. That room can be used to
correct these issues.

- Kevin