> ""Leif Jackson"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>> As for the threading code it makes about a
>> 60% speedup on the pop3 server alone and I can't state much yet for the
>> imap server but between the pthreads and the new list code I have finaly
>> eradicated the last few minor memory leaks I used to see from the
>> list_nodeadd stuff that bugged me! The diff so far is almost 400k so it
>> is
>> a major re-think of some areas...etc..
>
> Sounds like an incredible speedup, and it'll be exciting to actually be
> able to say, "I've done high performance multithreaded database
> programming" :-)

It is much faster, but that also may be the thread inprovment of the linux
kernel 2.6.8...

> I don't mean to get into a code size war with you, but did you make sure
> to exclude CVS and autotools from your diff?  I haven't been paying close
> attention to whose code it is that's usually had all of autotools patched,
> but just a heads up on that. I have a really nice excludes file that I'll
> post later this week (I'm not on my dev box yet, just finished moving
> rooms over the weekend, and my machine is still all in boxes :-(

Hehe, nah I always exclude anything that isn't related to my changes.

> Now that DBMail is going multithreaded, libSieve will also have to become
> thread safe, which depends on flex being thread safe... there will
> probably need to be quite a few mutexes surrounding the sieve calls in
> 2.1.

Weel I said that I was working on the patch and that the pop server runs
well under it, I didn't say I was anywhere near finished :) As far as the
Glist patch being seperated I am not sure that will make sence as there
are to many related things, I backicaly found out when I started making it
threaded under the thread pool model that the current list.c code came up
short or at least I felt like it did so since there is glibn in the
requirments for 2.1 I figured it would make sence to use their linked list
implementation which seems to also be very fast.

Anyway I expect this patch will be a few more weeks off at least as I have
to go out of town for a while I just wanted to let eveyone know I had good
sucess with the pop server the 60 % speed up is more to do with the number
of simultainus connections per second that it can sustain vs the cpu load
for each connection, it is dramaticly diffrent.

Thanks,
Leif