On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:59:23PM +0200, Ilja Booij wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:40:46 -0400, Dan Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:46:22AM +0200, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> > >
> > > I think you misunderstand. Simplification of the code is primary. Doing so
> > > requires getting rid of large parts of the code. I'm currently removing
> > > all
> > > list code (he leif) and replace it with glist where necessary. I'm also
> > > removing all cache code, and I'm replacing all mimeparsing with gmime.
> > > However, since I'm learning about gmime and glib as I go along, it's much
> > > easier to develop all this new code in a stand alone situation where I
> > > don't have to fireup the daemons sprinkled with trace and sleep calls,
> > > connect a gdb to the sleeping process, set breakpoints, etc....
> > >
> > Glib disgusts me.  Although I beleive in outsourcing code to other programs,
> > glib is horrible partly due to the fact that its another monolithic bloated
> > library.  What benefits are you getting by adding another dependency vs.
> > using the existing mime parsing.
>
> Glib is a great library. You've mentioned that you don't like it a
> couple of times. Obviously you haven't mentioned anything that made
> someone decide we shouldn't need it.
Glib is all about the idea of OOP in C.  Its very bloated, and is worse than
C++.  ..

> What we gain by using GLib is the ability to get rid of some code that
> is unmaintainable as it is. We get the ability to use GMime. GLib is
> supported on many platforms.

Well that may be a benefit, have you looked into libmailutils.  Its a
library for the sole purpose of mail related tasks.  It was written for
mailutils which provides its own imap and pop3, tho, libmailutils can be
seperated.
> I just do *not* see the problems you have with it. Please enlighten me.
>
> Ilja

Dan